There are many different ways to feed your dog. You can choose between the various types of the best dog’s food and sometimes it’s difficult to choose the right one when you don’t know the details and the basics. Dry, wet, raw, grain-free… it can be confusing, can’t it?
In this article, you will find out what are the advantages of each type of dog’s food and what to consider before choosing the diet for your dog.
We also present the best dry food and the varieties of meat and fishes used to produce the food. It’s a wide range of flavors; from lamb, chicken, and beef, to salmon, tuna and trout. There is a wide selection of flavors to choose from.
What makes dry food so good and how to choose the best one?
First and foremost, dry kibble can improve the condition of the dog’s teeth because of the chewing process. It’s a great method to reduce plaque and tartar. It’s also crunchy and provides the needs of chewing, which dogs use to relieve anxiety and stress.
What is more, you can easily leave dry food in a bowl for all day, for example when you will be at work, and give your dog a choice when he or she would like to eat it throughout the day.
There’s no risk that this type of food will grow bacteria and start to become contaminated. Also, dry kibble does not require to keep it in the fridge.
It has a longer expiry date after you open the package.
However, do not leave the original bag open. Instead, pour dry food into the plastic bin with a lid, to keep it fresh and tasty.
Choose the right ingredients
Remember to pay attention to the ingredients. Choose dry food with organic and well-checked ingredients. Make sure that the food is free from preservatives and pesticides and that it’s made with freshly prepared whole meat, not a meat meal. It increases the nutritional value of the food.
Also, check how many percents of the ingredients are grains and vegetables. The best if the food will be wheat and gluten-free.
Nowadays, food companies create well-balanced and complete dry food with all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals your dog needs to stay healthy and strong. The ingredients are mixed with very rich vegetable oil and fish oil which is a great source of fatty acids and Omega 3 giving the shiny look of the dog’s coat. Even herbs are added to make your dog healthier and probiotics to ease the digestion.
When you feed your dog with dry food, make sure that you also give the animal a proper amount of water. Your dog will drink more water to keep the hydration at the optimum level. Dry food consists of less water than the canned one.
What is more, dry food is better for younger and adult dogs. Senior dogs need softer food because their teeth are weaker. You can add some water to soften the kibble.
To sum up, dry dog food is a complete type of food and provides all nutritional needs. Pay attention if the ingredients are natural and organic, and choose this one without artificial colors and preservatives. Remember that dry food is more recommended to younger dogs with strong teeth.
🏆 Our Dry Dog Food Reviews
1. Harrington’s Dog Food Complete Lamb and Rice Dry Mix
Moreover, it’s enriched in Vitamine A, Vitamine D3, Vitamine E, Iron, Zinc, Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, and much more ingredients, which will improve the look of the dog’s coat making it more shiny and healthy. The price of this food is very profitable. If you want to be sure that your dog will get the best quality food, try Harrington’s Dog Food, a natural choice for every dog!
Maize, Lamb Meat Meal (min 14%), Barley, Rice (min 14%) Meat Meal, Beet Pulp, Poultry Fat, Digest, Vitamins & Minerals, Linseed, Kelp (0.2%), Citrus Extract (0.04%) & Yucca Extract (0.01%), Antioxidant (contains Tocopherol Rich Extracts – a Natural Antioxidant) Allergy Information: Free From Dairy, Free From Soya\Soybeans No added wheat
Protein 21%, Fat Content 10%, Crude Fibre 3%, Crude Ash 8.5%, Omega 6 1.6%, Omega 3, 0.4%. For a detailed feeding guide, please see back of the pack.
- No added wheat, dairy or soya
- No artificial colours or flavours
- No added sugars
- With nutrient-rich Kelp, a natural source of vitamins, minerals and trace elements
- With MOS, a prebiotic yeast, to help support a healthy digestion
- With Omega 6 & 3 fatty acids for healthy supple skin and glossy coat
- With Yucca extract to help reduce unpleasant flatulent odors
- With calcium and phosphorous for healthy teeth and bones
- Manufactured in the UK in our own, family-owned, factory
2. Pooch and Mutt Dry Dog Food Calm and Relaxed CompletPooch and Mutt Dry Dog Food Calm and Relaxed Complete are created especially for anxious dogs. The British experts composed well-suited ingredients to reduce dog’s stress which can be a cause of digestive problems. This grain-free food is made in 45% with Turkey, a very valuable source of protein. L-tryptophan, an amino acid added to build protein in the body and to reduce anxiety. Moreover, the ingredients are mixed with vegetables like sweet potato and peas, and with minerals and b-vitamins.
What is special with this natural food is a chamomile ingredient and NUTRA-BIONIC supplement. Chamomile herb will give your dog more relax and peace and NUTRA-BIONIC will improve and ease the digestive process. Also, probiotics and prebiotics will help your dog to digest.
‘Calm and relaxed’ by Pooch and Mutt is recommended by vets and checked by hundreds of satisfied dogs’ owners. Happy dog with a shiny coat and energy to play is the best proof that Pooch and Mutt Dry Food is a great choice.
It’s a well-balanced and well-composed diet for every dog, especially those who are more excitable. You won’t find any artificial or harmful ingredient in Pooch and Mutt food.
Everything is checked, well balanced and prepared with carefulness to give your dog the best meals. Choose great quality and make your dog’s life happier and healthier!
3. Supadog Burgess Sensitive Hypoallergenic Dog Food Scottish Salmon and RiceSupadog Burgess Sensitive Hypoallergenic Dog Food Scottish Salmon and Rice 12.5kg
This Scottish food is highly recommended by vets for adult dogs with allergies and a sensitive stomach. It’s easy to digest and it’s composed of Scottish Salmon and Rice. This complete adult dog food is also hypoallergenic so you can be sure that if your dog is an allergy sufferer, this food is safe and well checked.
It’s wheat, gluten, soy, eggs, and maize-free. The list of ingredients is short because it’s well balanced and composed only from the best and natural elements, free from artificial and preservatives. Salmon and rice, which are the main ingredients, are a rich source of protein.
Salmon (min 26%), Rice (min 26%), Chicken meal, Unmolassed Beet Pulp (5%), Poultry Fat, Digest, Fish Oil (1%), Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Minerals
- Vitamin A (retinyl acetate) – 30,000 iu/kg
- Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) – 3,000 iu/kg
- Vitamin E (dl Alpha-tocopherol acetate) – 180 mg/kg
- Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate – 32 mg/kg
- Calcium Lodate Anhydrous – 2.38 mg/kg
- Sodium Selenite – 0.33 mg/kg
- Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate – 133 mg/kg
- Manganous Oxide – 16 mg/kg
- Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate – 333 mg/kg
Supadog will also support the immune system and the heart of your dog. You will see a positive change in the condition of the coat and skin thanks to the natural minerals and fish oil, a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids. The coat will get a more shiny and glassy look.
Supadog Burgess will be the best dry meal for your sensitive pet and it will give the energy to be a happy and healthy dog!
4. Barking Heads Dog Food Fish ‘n’ DelishAmazing food for the barking head! Discover this well-balanced and well-composed dry food for adult dogs. This grain-free and naturally hypoallergenic food will be the best source of protein and vitamins for your pet. Made with 100% natural salmon and trout, mixed with sweet potato, peas, and herbs, giving your dog a complete meal.
Salmon is an excellent source of Omega 3 fatty acids and Potassium giving your dog the best health benefits. Also, this fish is full of protein and B-vitamins. We guarantee that the dog’s coat will get a shiny and healthy look thanks to sunflower and fish oils rich in fatty acids.
This highly digestible dry food is suitable even for sensitive tummies! Barking Heads Dog Food is an excellent source of nutrition, vitamins, natural minerals, and fiber. If you look for great quality, choose this dry food and make your dog even happier with strong muscles, soft coat and great energy to play.
Composition: 57%* Fish includes – Salmon *(33%), Sweet Potato (29%), Dried Salmon *(14%), Trout *(10%), Peas (9%), Sunflower Oil, Lucerne, Seaweed, Glucosamine 355 mg/kg, Methylsulfonylmethane 355 mg/kg, Chondroitin Sulphate 250 mg/kg, Mixed Herbs (Marjoram, Basil, Oregano, Sage, Thyme, Parsley) (0.4%), Minerals 57% Fish (47% Salmon, 10% Trout)
5. Lily’s Kitchen Adult Organic Chicken and Vegetable BakeDiscover the unique recipe and ingredients of this organic, well balanced dry dogs’ food made with certified organic chicken and muscle meat. If you wish to feed your dog with delicious and healthy food, choose Lily’s Kitchen.
In the recipe, freshly prepared chicken is the main ingredient. Moreover, we use healthy oils and fats which are indispensable to absorb all the vitamins and high-quality chelated minerals. Additionally, brown lentils and wholesome grains are added to increase the protein value.
The recipe is wheat, corn or soy-free.
Lily’s Kitchen Adult Organic Chicken and Vegetable Bake Food is easy to digest for every dog with sensitive tummies. It’s also hypoallergenic and low fat.
26% Organic Freshly Prepared Chicken, Organic Rice, Organic Barley, Organic Oats, Organic Rice Protein, Organic Fishmeal, Organic Brown Lentils, Organic Gravy, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Whole Sunflower Seeds, Organic Sunflower Oil, Minerals, Organic Chicken Oil, Organic Carrots, Organic Spinach, Organic Peas, Organic Parsnip, Organic Pumpkin, Organic Broccoli, Organic Honey, Organic Botanical Herbs (Alfalfa, Golden Rod, Cleavers, Dandelion Root, Nettles, Celery Seed, Rosehips, Marigold Petals, Burdock Root, Aniseed, Milk Thistle).
Nutritional Additives (per kg)
Vitamin A 15,000 IU, Vitamin D 2,250 IU, Vitamin E 100 IU, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 1.64mg/kg, Organic Selenium S cerevisiae CNCM 130.43 mg/kg, Cupric Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 150 mg/kg, Zinc Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 333 mg/kg, Manganous Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 233 223 mg/kg, Ferrous Chelate of Amino Acids Hydrate 333mg/kg, L-Carnitine 400 mg/kg.
6. James Wellbeloved Dog Food Adult Lamb and Rice KibbleThis dry natural food will be the best choice if your dog has a sensitive stomach and is a poor eater. This is a balanced, specially selected and complete food for adult dogs.
The hypoallergenic formula is wheat and gluten-free.
The main ingredient is lamb, very delicate meat full of protein. Apart from meat, there are wholesome brown rice and whole barley, a great source of fiber. Moreover, the yucca extract is added to lower the flatulence, reduce the smell of stool and to ease the process of digestion. Also, yucca is a great source of fiber, vitamin C, and potassium.
James Wellbeloved Dog Food is perfect for dogs with food intolerances and problems with digestion. The recipe is enriched in Omega 3 fatty acids to improve the condition of the dog’s coat, making it looks shiny and healthy. The ingredients are well balanced and selected giving your dog the best, complete care.
James Wellbeloved Dog Food is recommended by vets for dogs with nervous stomachs and allergy problems. Do not hesitate and choose this hypoallergenic and natural dry food for your beloved dog.
In conclusion, the products presented above are perfectly balanced for adult dogs and provide a complete diet for your dog. Pay attention if the food is made with the organic and well-checked ingredients to make sure that your dog will be healthy and strong.
Dry food will be a good choice if you prefer to leave the food in a bowl throughout a day and do not worry about contamination. It’s completely up to you which type of dog’s food you will choose. Consider the age of your dog, the condition of the dog’s teeth and most importantly, check how the dog feels after eating dry food. All in all, the animal will be the best tester.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Corn and wheat gluten.
- Meat and grain meals and by-products.
- BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole)
- BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene)
- Food Dyes (Blue 2, Red 40, Yellow 5 and 6, 4-MIE)
- PG (Propylene Glycol)
- Rendered fat.
- Taste of the Wild High Protein Dry Dog Food.
- I and Love and You Naked Essentials Dry Dog Food.
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Dry Dog Food.
- Purina Beyond Simply 9 Dry Dog Food.
- Nutro MAX Natural Adult Dry Dog Food.
- Purina ONE SmartBlend Dry Dog Food.
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Dry Dog Food.
- Taste of the Wild
- Earthborn Holistic
- Blue Buffalo
- Nature’s Domain
- California Natural
- Natural Balance
- Nature’s Variety
- Rachael Ray Nutrish
Most of the reports were associated with dry dog food formulations, but raw food, semi-moist food and wet foods were included. The FDA has not suggested owners change their pets’ diets.